After pushing the silence to the back of my mind one too many times I decided to investigate and see what little Micah Moo was up to. Any of you who know me well know that in reality I was making sure he hadn't drowned or somehow seriously hurt himself. In a way I relieved to find this instead:
In case you can't read the box, that's wheat bran...a whole stinkin' box of it!!! In all honesty it probably needed thrown out, as I can't really remember the last time I used it. That being said, this is not exactly the way I would have gone about getting rid of it!
I mean I knew this day would come, we all have pictures of ourselves sitting on the kitchen table with sugar all around us, but I wasn't really expecting today to be THE day. I didn't get angry or punish the poor kid. First off- its stinkin' cute, second- I didn't exactly catch him in the act, and third- its my own darn fault it happened to begin with. I did, however, inform him that 'we do not play there' the next time he went for the lazy suzan!
I found the events of today to be very fitting as I received the following video in an email from my mother-in-law just yesterday. I hope you'll take a moment to watch it.
I have been mulling this short video over in my little pea-brain for the past 48 hours.
It is so easy to get caught up in the length of a nap, or that big tooth popping through, or surviving a five hour car ride with a 14 month old and to lose total sight of the bigger picture. Its much easier to totally forget that my identity does not hinge on the intelligence of my child or the cleanliness of my mini-van, than to remember that it hinges on my King and what He has done for me. When I am brought back to this realization, all the peripheral things seem to get a little blurry and don't seem to matter as much. It still matters that I change my kid's poopy diaper, even when no one is looking, but what matters more is that I serve my King, even when no one is looking. What matters more that I do as 1 Corinthians 10:31 says: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Whether you are a mom or not, we are all called to serve our King, even when no one is looking. I hope that, first-you know our King, and second-that you what a blessing it is to serve Him!
2 comments:
I was just thinking yesterday that Grace is already to an age where if there's complete silence, I'd better pay attention quick. She's a pretty quiet girl, but there's usually SOME noise, even if it's just a toy squeaking against her gums. Today she got REAL quiet, as she was trying to climb a bookshelf!
I just wanted to say I appreciate this post and your message about where you find your identity. I respect it so much when moms know their identity comes from serving their King. While I'm not a mom, I can imagine how hard it is to lose sight of that sometimes because of the demands of the kiddo. Thanks for the encouragement for all women, regardless of our stage of life!
Post a Comment