Monday, March 2, 2009

Faith Like a child...for a child!

I just have to share this story, it is too great to not...

About a month ago Jason and I were at Target and I decided to look for some bigger clothing for Micah. As many of you know this boy is anything but short and is quickly growing out of even six month clothing. I found a cute Winnie the Pooh sleeper on the clearance rack that was size 9 month. We decided to buy it, but after we got home I just couldn't get it out of my mind that I wasn't trusting God to provide for our EVERY need. I felt really convicted of my 'secure' move of buying Micah the next size up. After a few days of this nagging feeling I decided to follow my conviction and return the sleeper. The next weekend my parents had us down to celebrate February birthdays for my sister and me. On the way down I called my mom, as I always do, to make sure she didn't need me to pick anything up last minute at the grocery store in Washington. She said to grab ice cream and 'oh, I picked up something for Micah today.'
As we chatted she started to describe the exact same sleeper I had returned only days before. Sure enough, we got there and she pulled out that cute, warm Winnie the Pooh sleeper, in size 9 month, none the less. Over the past week and a half I have not been able to get this out of my mind, God has been using it over and over to remind me of His provision and care in our lives. The sleeper itself is not the core issue, and the $6.38 I saved by returning it will not make a huge difference, one way or another, in our budget. That being said, over time, if I choose to 'plan ahead' and attempt to provide security for us on my own terms and timing our budget, financially and spiritually, will be deep in the red. Through this little lesson God has kept reminding me of Matthew 6:28-34 "And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lillies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat' or 'What shall we drink' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and you heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."
Ultimately HE is all we need, the rest is just a distraction. What a struggle; daily, hourly, minute-by-minute, to go against our flesh and surrender ALL to Him. To allow Him to play a part in EVERY part of our lives, not just on Sundays or when we are desperate for His help. I hope and pray that I do not let the distractions of this world blur my vision, that my eyes are always cast on Christ and His glory...and that Micah sees our relationships with Christ in everything that we do!

So, that was deep, if you stuck through my little 'moment of clarity' , here is your 'reward' (earthly anyway :) )
Jason's mom snapped a quick picture of us while in Kansas City. I think Micah was sick of the flash by this picture and was smart enough to look away!

Cousins united at last! This is baby Memphis, who is as long as Micah was when he was born, but weighs almost a whole pound less! In this pic he is about 22inches long and weighs just under 8lbs. It is hard to remember Micah being that small. Memphis is too cute, and looks so much like his mommy, Emily, who is doing a great job at adjusting to motherhood. We were so worried Micah might decide to crush Memphis while attempting to roll over. He's so close (to rolling over that is). Our trip was quick, but hopefully it was productive in helping Emily. We can't wait to see them again! Its hard to believe that even at Christmas they will probably be playing together!

1 comment:

Prachar family said...

I don't know about you, but I get so frustrated at my own lack of faith. Like the father Mark who asked for healing of his demon posessed son who said, "I believe, help my unbelief!" That is me! Thanks for sharing your heart and being transparent!

Love the pic of Micah and Memphis, isn't it amazing how quickly we forget how small they were (not that Micah was ever that small though)!